Image by epSos.de via FlickrI thought this was great! (Too bad I didn't read it 20 years ago...)
* Does he go out of his way for you? Or are you always doing things for him? Does he try to make you happy? Does he want to prove he is good enough for you--or are you always jumping through hoops to win his love? Will he go places that you enjoy? Or are you always doing things he likes? If he doesn't aim to please you now, it will only get worse once you are married.
* Is he hard working? Did he work hard in school? Does he work hard on his job? Or is he always complaining about his boss, his teachers, and never really working hard at anything? If he doesn't work hard now, it is unlikely he'll work hard to earn the money needed to live a secure, debt-free life.
* Does he take responsibility for the quality and condition of his life--or does he see himself as a victim--always blaming others for his problems? If he blames others now, eventually he'll blame you for all his problems too.
* Does he have character? Does he have a strong set of standards and beliefs he lives by? Does he show loyalty to his friends, family and beliefs? Or is he weak? Does he show poor character? Is he self-absorbed or does he think of the feelings of others? Is his own pleasure and his own needs the most important thing in his life? Is everything he does motivated by the desire to get his pleasure needs met? Does he 'cheat' at the little things? If he lacks character, eventually he will betray you. Infidelity is simply too easy for a man who is weak and lacks character.
* Does he always insist on having his way? Does he always think he is right--refusing to listen to the opinions of others? Is he painfully stubborn? Imagine living with a man who won't try to see your side of a situation--and once you are married, there will be times when you disagree. A man who is flexible, open and willing to listen won't be impossible to deal with when those situations arise.
* Is he a positive person--or does he see the negative in everything? Does he know how to laugh, how to have a good time, how to find the good even in bad situations? Or is he prone to negativity? Is he often overly critical of others? Is he a pessimist? In a life full of ups and downs, it helps to be around an optimist who is positive. Life can be negative enough without living with a man who is negative.
* Does he make you feel important? Does he accept you as you are, or is he always trying to change you? Do you feel inadequate around him? Is his love for you based on your looks? Does he often pay too much attention to what you eat--for fear you will gain weight? If he makes you feel inadequate now, imagine how you'll feel two children and eight years of marriage (and probably 40 more pounds) later?
* Does he respect marriage? Does he joke about people getting divorced or his friends cheating on their wives? Does he respect his own family? Is he a person true to his word--or does he break promises all the time? If he takes other people's marriages lightly, eventually he'll take his own lightly too.
* Does he have a 'trigger' temper? Is he prone to impulsivity--refusing to stop and think before he acts? If a man doesn't have the ability to control his emotions, he could give in and hit you when you aggravate him.
* Does he show empathy for others? Or does he make fun of those who are handicapped, disabled or somehow weaker than himself? Imagine how you'll be treated when he sees the weakest parts of who you are.
* Does he show respect for authority? Or does he ignore 'the rules' preferring to do things his own way?
* Is he a generous person--with his emotions, his resources, his time and himself? Or is he stingy with his love? Marrying an emotionally stingy man will set you up for a life of deprivation.
* Is he kind? Does he show kindness even when he doesn't have to? Does he respect the beliefs of others? Or does he find it easy to make fun of people he doesn't understand or agree with?
* Is he a grown-up? Or is he an immature boy trying to maintain an image of being something he isn't? A man overly concerned with image won't have the real qualities needed to be a success, both personally and professionally, in life.
* Is he willing to work for what he wants? What is his work record? Does he often call in sick? Or is he self-disciplined? Does he often get fired for jobs? Does he show responsibility in regards to financial matters?
* Is he a person into instant gratification or does he have the self-control to wait for what he wants?
* Is he patient? Or does he get aggravated easily?